Entry Date: 09 Sep 2018
Expiry Date: 18 Sep 2018
Follow us on Twitter @The_HDA and on Facebook: TheHDA
The HDA has the following five-year fixed-term position:
Specialist: Chief Engineer
Location: Western Cape (Cape Town)
Main Purpose: To perform and manage all aspects of varied innovative and complex engineering activities that result in progress in technology and engineering applications and provide strategic direction in the process for human settlement development.
Key Responsibility Areas:
Project planning and design:
• Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications of projects
• Analyse survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
• Develop and design systems and structures, in line with built environment standards, using design software and drawing tools
• Conduct on site investigations and analyses data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other)
• Assess potential risks, materials and costs
• Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
• Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labour to determine project feasibility.
• Manage the planning and implementation of Human Settlement Development projects undertaken by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements which includes planning and developing new housing and infrastructure projects to be implemented by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements.
• Oversee construction and on-going monitoring and evaluation of projects planned and implemented by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements.
Project development and management
• Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or other construction development standards
• Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to the technical team
• Monitor progress and compile reports in project status
• Resolve design and development problems
• Assess the sustainability and environmental impact of projects
• Ensure projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time
• Oversee the handing over process of the completed structures and services for use
• Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety
• Direct construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site
• Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility
• Prepare or present public reports, such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, and property and right-of-way descriptions
• Management of complex infrastructure development and construction projects from inception to full life circle
• Interpret test soil results of materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel
• Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel
• Ensure that service providers comply with stated service level agreements and contractual obligations
• Provide timely feedback to the Provincial Department of Human Settlements management regarding any contractual transgressions that may occur during projects implementation
• Ensure implementation of projects are within established policies, systems, procedures, processes and practices
• Provide advice and assistance to others in order to ensure their compliance with policy, governance procedures, as well as industry standards
• Identify areas of non-compliance and implement corrective action
• Must be registered with Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) as a Professional Engineer (PR. Eng.)/ Professional Technologist (B-Tech)
• Professional registration is a requirement
• Twelve to fifteen years’ experience in large scale-built environment (human settlements projects)
• At least five years’ experience in a development management and development contract management is required
• Must have knowledge of contract management (NEC/GCC/FIDIC/JBCC)
Please forward relevant CV (Clearly marked with the reference number of the position) in a Microsoft Word format to: email@example.com.
Should you not comply with the above requirements your application will NOT be considered.
Closing date for applications: 18 September 2018
CVs received after the closing date will NOT be considered. Kindly take note if you have not been contacted within fourteen (14) days of the closing date; please consider your application unsuccessful.
Enquiries: Thumeka Mtwentwe on 012 663 2087
Conditions of service: The HDA is an equal opportunity employer ● Appointments will be made in accordance with the HDA Employment Equity policy ● The HDA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please do not send certificates, diplomas or testimonials. We thank all applicants for their interest. Communication will be conducted with short-listed applicants only.