Entry Date: 09 Feb 2020
Expiry Date: 15 Feb 2020
The Housing Development Agency (HDA) is a National Public sector development agency that inter alia has the mandate to identify, acquire, prepare and develop suitable land for human settlements. The agency also undertakes the programme and project management for development of housing and human settlements. The HDA carries out its functions in partnership with a range of stakeholders including national, provincial and local government and municipalities, as well as with communities, developers and financiers.
Established in 2009, the Agency was established by an Act of Parliament in 2008 and is accountable through its Board to the Minister of Human Settlements. For more information about the HDA, please visit our website: www.thehda.co.za.
Follow us on Twitter @The_HDA and on Facebook: TheHDA
The HDA has the following permanent position:
Manager: Communications & Marketing
Reference: MC&M (2020)
Main Purpose: To drive the overall Marketing & Communications Strategy for the HDA based on the agreed strategy, devise and be responsible for the delivery of
the Annual Marketing & Communications Plan, which includes plans for the marketing and communications budget, demonstrating value for money and return
on investment. To manage all internal and external communications for the company ensuring its messages are consistent.
Key Responsibility Areas:
Marketing, communications and public relations:
·Develop and implement an approved communication framework, and supporting strategy to:
o guide the implementation of communication and marketing in the HDA
o that build customer loyalty programs, brand awareness and customer satisfaction, and
o monitor the implementation of the communications strategy
· Develop, implement and maintain a corporate identity manual
· Ensure, implement and measure the success of: a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the HDA’s image and position within the country;
· Facilitate internal and external communications for marketing, communications and public relations
· Ensure articulation of HDA’s desired image and position,
o assure consistent communication of the image, strategy and vision of the Agency to all stakeholders, (both internal and
· Coordinate media interest in the HDA and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
o Act as the HDA’s representative with the media.
o Write press releases for local, national and international media
o Monitor press releases for local, national and international media
o Amplify opportunities for positive Public Release.
· Coordinate the appearance and design of all HDA’s promotional online and offline print and electronic materials such as letterheads, use of logo’s, brochures, etc.
· Collating and analyzing current communications and messages and ensuring consistency
· Ensure that the HDA regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity while also monitoring trends.
· Lead communication and marketing projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events
· Create, manage and distribute marketing materials including publications and media relations at appropriate for a and events
· Ensure and supervise the editorial direction, design, production of all HDA publications
· Manage, ensure and finalise the printing of the Annual Report as required by the PFMA (content, layout, editing and printing, etc.)
HDA Brand and Image Promotion and Development:
· Identify and utilize all opportunities (including media) to build the HDA brand and corporate’s image
· Represent the HDA in all relevant industry forums
· Communicate benefits and value of the HDA at different government and private fora
· Maintain strong organisational networks within the human development / housing community that are or may be stakeholders in the HDA
· Build the HDA profile in all relevant communities including the human development / housing community
· Implement governance, ethics and compliance requirements within the Communications and Marketing Department
o Ensure that the governance, ethics and compliance implemented regarding communications and marketing is monitored for developing supporting interventions
· Research and develop knowledge and expertise on related governance legislation and requirements for communications that would affect the HDA
· Provide communications advice to the EXCO in execution of communication services responsibilities
· Coordinate, manage and guide all communications inputs from internal and external stakeholders
· Implement approved structural and governance communication requirements as approved
· Develop, review and maintain corporate communications policies and procedures
· Maintain an accurate and updated record of all stakeholders
· Identify and escalate potential corporate communications risks within agreed turnaround time to EXCO and MANCO
Administration & Support:
· Develop, update and conduct induction and training of EXCO and MANCO on communication aspects and its value chain
· Maintain controls such as registers and a database of stakeholders
· Ensure an effective filing mechanism for communication content
· Providing administrative support to produce an APP & Strategic Plan
· Prepare the Communication and Marketing Monthly and Quarterly report for the Communications and Marketing Department.
o Including the preparation of detailed media activity reports
· Plan, edit and manage the design, content, and production of all marketing materials (press releases, blogs, press kits, newsletters and related marketing materials)
o The material should be informative and interesting
o Distribute communication materials like newsletters in order to promote the Agency’s products and services
· Work with different marketing departments to generate new ideas and strategies
· Respond to communication related issues in timely manner
· Manage and co-ordinate interaction, collaboration (where possible), and relations with communications and marketing stakeholders
· Represent and provide support to events (through distribution of marketing material, not excluding additional / other communications and marketing support related activities)
· Create communication and marketing strategies for new products, launches, events and promotions
· Draft a comprehensive budget for the communications and marketing department
· Oversee and allocate the annual communications budget and ensure it is used appropriately
· Ensure effective budget control measures and compliance to SCM procedure in respect to Communications and Marketing
· Developing a risk register for the communications and marketing department, ensure effective control measures and managing of risks
· Follow the correct and process and procedures in selecting, appointing, leading and managing communication staff members
· Ensure all performance contracts of support staff has clear goals, objectives, and targets in order to measure achievements and performance
· Build and manage relationships with staff members
· Manage and support staff development
· Develop and manage the implementation of succession plans for key individuals and critical positions
· Implement the HDA HR policies and procedures as required
Qualifications & Experience:
· Degree in marketing and/or communications (Post Graduate Degree will be considered as an advantage)
· Leadership experience of a marketing and communications unit and its functions
· Knowledge and understanding of managing media, including social media, especially in the government environment
· Proven experience in interacting with high level government and private sector officials
· A track record of proven demonstrating delivery, creative and analytical skills
· Successful line management of support staff
· An ability to effectively manage service providers for results
· Able to function and manage under pressure
· An ability to work independently and take decisions – but know when to seek guidance ‐ and deliver to deadlines
· Experience in managing budgets and expenditure in a responsible manner
· Hands on experience with web content management tools
· Experience with marketing campaigns on social media
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent presentation skills
· Deadline driven
Please forward relevant CV (Clearly marked with the reference number of the position) in a Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you not comply with the above requirements your application will NOT be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15 February 2020
CVs received after the closing date will NOT be considered. Kindly take note if you have not been contacted within fourteen (14) days of the closing date; please consider your application unsuccessful.
Enquiries: John Brouckaert (011 267 2920)
Conditions of service: The HDA is an equal opportunity employer ● Appointments will be made in accordance with the HDA Employment Equity policy ● The HDA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please do not send certificates, diplomas or testimonials. We thank all applicants for their interest. Communication will be conducted with short-listed applicants only.