Entry Date: 15 Mar 2021
Expiry Date: 27 Mar 2021
The Housing Development Agency (HDA) is a national public sector development agency that acquires and prepares land as well as develop the land and project manage the development of housing and human settlements. We carry out our activities in partnership with a range of stakeholders including national, provincial and local government and municipalities, as well as with communities, developers, financiers and other affected parties. Established in 2009, the Agency was established by an Act of Parliament in 2008 and is accountable through its Board to the Minister of Human Settlements. For more information about the HDA, please visit our website: www.thehda.co.za.
Follow us on Twitter @The_HDA and on Facebook: TheHDA.
The HDA has the following three-year fixed term contract position:
CHIEF ENGINEER – BUCKET ERADICATION PROGRAMME
REPORTING LINE: PROVINCIAL MANAGER
Ref: HDA CE/2021
Main Purpose: To perform and manage all aspects of varied innovative and complex engineering activities that result in progress in technology and engineering applications and provide strategic direction in the process for human settlement development.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Project Planning and Design:
• Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications of projects
• Analyse survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, and other topographical or geologic data to plan projects
• Develop and design systems and structures, in line with built environment standards, using design software and drawing tools
• Conduct on site investigations and analyse data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other)
• Assess potential risks, materials and costs
• Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
• Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labour to determine project feasibility
• Manage the planning and implementation of Human Settlement Development projects undertaken by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements which includes the following:
o Plan and develop new housing and infrastructure projects to be implemented by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements
o Oversee construction and on-going monitoring and evaluation of projects planned and implemented by the Provincial Department of Human Settlements.
2. Project Development and Management:
• Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or other construction development standards
• Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to the technical team
• Monitor progress and compile reports in project status
• Resolve design and development problems
• Assess the sustainability and environmental impact of projects
• Ensure projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time
• Hand / oversee the handing over process of the completed structures and services for use
• Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety
• Direct construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site
• Estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, or labor to determine project feasibility
• Prepare or present public reports, such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, and property and right-of-way descriptions
• Management of complex infrastructure development and construction projects from inception to full life circle
• Interpret test soil results of materials to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel
• Provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modifications and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel.
3. Compliance Management:
• Ensure that service providers comply with stated service level agreements and contractual obligations
• Provide timely feedback to Western Cape Department of Human Settlements management regarding any contractual transgressions that may occur during projects implementation
• Ensure implementation of projects are within established policies, systems, procedures, processes and practices
• Provide advice and assistance to others in order to ensure their compliance with policy, governance procedures, as well as industry standards.
• Identify areas of non-compliance and implement corrective action
• Must be registered with ECSA as a Professional Engineer (Pr. Eng.)/Professional Technologist (B-Tech)
• Professional registration is a requirement
• 12-15 years’ experience in large scale built environment, human settlements projects is required
• At least 5 years’ experience in a development management and development contract management is required
• Must have knowledge of Contract Management (NEC/ GCC/ FIDIC/ JBCC)
Please forward a relevant CV (Clearly marked with the reference number of the position) in a Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of service:
The HDA is an equal opportunity employer ● Appointments will be made in accordance with the HDA Employment Equity policy ● The HDA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please do not send certificates, diplomas or testimonials. We thank all applicants for their interest.
Communication will be conducted with short-listed applicants only.
Closing date for applications is 27 March 2021.
For enquirIes please contact John Brouckaert on 011 267 2920