Entry Date: 05 Feb 2018
Expiry Date: 11 Feb 2018
The Housing Development Agency (HDA) is a national public sector development agency that acquires and prepares land as well as develop the land and project manage the development of housing and human settlements. We carry out our activities in partnership with a range of stakeholders including national, provincial and local government and municipalities, as well as with communities, developers, financiers and other affected parties. Established in 2009, the Agency was established by an Act of Parliament in 2008 and is accountable through its Board to the Minister of Human Settlements. For more information about the HDA, please visit our website: www.thehda.co.za.
The HDA has the following three-year fixed-term contract position:
Inspector (x5 posts) Location: Durban (KZN)
Reference: JFB INS (KZN) 2018
Main Purpose: To inspect and certify the HDA construction projects at the defined progress points to ensure that the buildings and units are fully compliant and meet all HDA quality standards, prior to and until handover.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Complete inspections according to schedule and plan
- Check building is being constructed on correct erf
- Check layout of unit / house is according to the approved plan and is orientated correctly
- Ensure foundation is laid out correctly
- Ensure foundation is cast according to specification and that contractors Engineer signs off the foundation
- Inspect house / building to ensure it has been constructed according to the required specification e.g. Brick force used correctly, roofs tied down correctly, two coats of specified paint applied correctly
- Check all walls, windows and doors are installed straight and meet specifications
- Check all plumbing and electrical work is installed as per approved plan, works and is compliant
- Ensure houses / units meet all quality standards as agreed by Project managers and NHBRC
- Performs inspections of road works, storm drains, water & sewer mains and other services
- Ensure that work complies with standard specifications, detailed plans and standard practices
Service Provider Liaison:
- Identify issues and proactively resolve these with relevant contractors and service providers
- Coordinate with NHBRC regarding non-compliance or issues identified by them
- Resolve non-compliance and quality issues with contractors in a proactive and effective manner
- Monitor and ensure service provider integrity in all issues and matters.
- Schedule and plan inspections in conjunction with project managers
- Conduct inspections according to schedule
- Input information from inspections accurately and completely
- Complete comprehensive checklists for each house / unit inspected
- Prepare and keep accurate records for preparation of regular weekly and monthly reports
- Draft reports as required
- Plan and participate in meetings
- Develop and maintain an appropriate filing system of all inspection documentation
- Investigate and report on complaints and enquiries as required
- Recommend for works to be signed off by Project Manager as complete
- Establish and monitor deadlines for completion of work
- Complete final snagging of units prior to sign-off
- Complete de-snagging of units
- Sign off completion of handover documents once all snags and issues are resolved
Qualifications & Experience
- Matric or equivalent qualification
- Relevant Post Matric certification / diploma
- Ability to read, interpret, understand and manage building plans to ensure construction is aligned and compliant
- Knowledge and ability to ensure compliance of plumbing and electrical requirements in building
- Construction / inspection related qualification is recommended
- Having a working knowledge of health and safety legislation
- 2-3 years experience as foreman and / or Clerk of Works essential
- 5-10 years experience in large scale low-cost housing construction environment. A minimum of 3 years of this experience must be in a quality construction management capacity
- Drivers license
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
Please forward relevant CV in a Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org (Clearly marked with the reference number of the position).
Should you not comply with the above requirements your application will NOT be considered.
Closing date for applications: 11 February 2018
CVs received after the closing date will NOT be considered. Kindly take note if you have not been contacted within fourteen (14) days of the closing date; please consider your application unsuccessful.
Enquiries: John Brouckaert - 011 267 2920
Conditions of service: The HDA is an equal opportunity employer ● Appointments will be made in accordance with the HDA EE policy ● The HDA reserves the right not to make an appointment.