Entry Date: 03 Dec 2022
Expiry Date: 11 Dec 2022
The Housing Development Agency (HDA) is a national public sector development agency that inter alia has the mandate to identify, acquire, prepare and develop suitable land for human settlements. The agency also undertakes the programme and project management for development of housing and human settlements. The HDA carries out its functions in partnership with a range of stakeholders including national, provincial and local government and municipalities, as well as with communities, developers and financiers. Established in 2009, the Agency was established by an Act of Parliament in 2008 and is accountable through its Board to the Minister of Human Settlements.
For more information about the HDA, please visit our website: www.thehda.co.za.
Follow us on Twitter @The_HDA and on Facebook: TheHDA.
The HDA has the following fixed-term contract position:
Project Manager: Informal Settlement Upgrading
Location: Free State-Bloemfontein
REPORTING LINE: Development Manager
Ref: HDA PMISU 2022
To support the Province in all aspects of ensuring that informal settlements upgrading programme is delivered in line with provincial and national priorities and ensure that ISU projects are assigned to the HDA, and are delivered on time, within budget and to required specifications and quality. The main purpose of the position is to:
• Ensure and assist with basic services provision in identified informal settlements;
• Ensure that there is consistency in informal settlements data and categorization settlements and assisting with the development comprehensive upgrading plans for each settlement;
• Assist with developing informal settlements upgrading strategies at provincial and municipal level in order to guide the upgrading implementation programme going forward; and
• Assist with conclusion and resolution of land tenure matters in various informal settlements in the province
Key Performance Areas:
Overseeing and assist the implementation of upgrading of informal settlements programme
• Prepare a short term and medium-term implementation programme on ISU and assist Province with the prioritisation and alignment to the APP relating to the upgrading of informal settlements.
• Identify informal settlements projects and provide a roll-out plan for projects which require assistance with conclusion and resolution of land tenure matters.
• Provide support for project preparation work; compile a project plan highlighting project packaging services which will ensure effective implementation of appropriate service options based on investigations, feasibilities conducted, and envisaged urban development framework for each settlement.
• Manage the process of rapid assessments and verification of informal settlements status quo to determine appropriate development response per settlement.
• Develop Provincial ISU strategies and provide support for implementation as well as monitoring.
Programme support and services to clients:
• Develop a plan for project preparation/packaging work for ensuring that basic services are installed
• Develop a plan for addressing resolution of land legal matters and agree on the plan with Province and Municipalities
• Facilitate the alignment and develop a framework to ensure that Provincial ISU strategy and implementation plans with Municipal strategic documents such as IDP, Housing sector plans, spatial development framework and BEPP, and
• Prior to starting a project, conduct a comprehensive project planning process that includes delivery of:
o Project feasibility
o Project readiness
o Comprehensive scope
o Resourcing plans
o Budget projection and evaluation
o Project delivery deadlines
o Risk evaluation matrix
• Present completed documents that identify and highlight potential:
• Define and deliver:
o Project scope
o Detailed project plan with project time frames and deliverables, and associated communication documents
• Project budget
• Secure appropriate resources of housing and related services to achieve project objectives
• Manage resources to deliver according to defined outputs and project plan deliverables
• Manage all site-based meetings
• Develop service level agreements and contracts (including standard professional contracts) for resources on the projects, specifically the professional teams and sub-contractors
• Monitor and manage the performance of professional teams and sub-contractors to ensure delivery as stated in the project plan
• Manage of housing and related services project budget
• Management of relationships with key stakeholders and community representatives
• Controlling and coordinating the projects:
o Human Resource Management
o Risk and
o Procurement Management
• Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises and devise contingency plans
• Develop and implement risk management plans and strategies for housing and related services projects
• Complete and present post implementation review to senior management and project teams to identify successes, challenges, and lessons from the project
• Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management
Programming and coordinating the human settlements project portfolio
• To support the Province in all aspects of ensuring that informal settlements upgrading (ISU) programme is delivered in line provincial and national priorities, and to ensure that ISU projects are assigned to the HDA, and are delivered on time, within budget and to the required specifications and quality.
• The main purpose of the position is to:
o Ensure and assist with Basic services provision in identified informal settlements
o Ensure that there is consistency in informal settlements data and categorization settlements and assisting with the develop comprehensive upgrading plans for each settlement.
o Assist with developing informal settlements upgrading strategies at provincial and municipal level in order to guide the upgrading implementation programme going forward.
o Assist with conclusion and resolution of land tenure matters in various informal settlements in the province.
• Contribute to project related procurement including
o Drafting terms of reference
o Providing input into procurement proposals
• Develop funding proposals
• Drafting, submission and presentation of housing and services project related management reports
• Ensure adherence to quality in the delivery of housing infrastructure
• Develop and implement site inspection processes
• Ensure compliance with legal, contractual and safety requirements
• Ensure that onsite occupational Health and Safety requirements are met and complied with
• Select, assign, lead and manage people
• Set clear objectives for self and others and measure achievements against these objectives through implementation of the performance management system
• Build and manage relationships with staff members
• Manage and support staff development
• Develop and manage the implementation of succession plans for key individuals and critical positions
• Implement the HDA HR policies and procedures as required
• Manage risks and address issues as they rise
• Manage implementation of work within established policies, systems, procedures, processes, and practices.
• Provide advice and assistance to others in order to ensure their compliance with policy and governance procedures
• Identify areas of non-compliance and implement corrective action
• A relevant degree or equivalent qualification in the built environment is required
• Relevant project management qualification (NQF5 or 6)
• Registration as a Construction Project Manager or other recognised equivalent professional accreditation will be a recommendation
• Computer literacy
• Five (5) years’ experience in a project manager role
• Experience in housing construction and/or infrastructure-based project management is required
• Experience in the delivery and project management of affordable housing projects is preferable
Please forward a relevant CV (Clearly marked with the reference number of the position) in a Microsoft Word format to email@example.com
Remuneration Scale: R570 700 – R741 900 per annum (all-inclusive package)
Kindly note that should you not receive a response within 21 days please consider your application unsuccessful.
Conditions of service: The HDA is an equal opportunity employer ●Appointments will be made in accordance with the HDA EE policy and preference will be given to people with disability and females ●The HDA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please do not send certificates, diplomas or testimonials. We thank all applicants for their interest. Communication will be conducted with short-listed applicants only.
Closing date for applications is 11 December 2022
For enquires please contact Rebecca Hatlane on 011 941 1953